Saturday 29th March


 Upperthong Res 1 Netherton 4



The second team won through to the semi-finals of the Richardson


Cup with a convincing 4-1 victory over Upperthong Reserves at


Jagger Lane, Honley. Management team Neil Wood and Richard


Winterbottom were forced into emergency action as Netherton's


squad was decimated by injuries, stag do's and players cup tied.


Wood started the game leading the forward line and looked


comfortable holding the ball up and bringing his team mates into play


while Winterbottom grew in confidence after realising which way his


 team were kicking in the first half. The first half was goalless with


the main action involving Wood who was forced to go in goals late in


the half after picking up a hamstring injury. Netherton took the lead


early in the second half with a deserved goal for the lively Joel


Nelson who intercepted a back pass before slotting home. Josh


Harling doubled the lead rising high to head into the top corner.



Josh Harlng relaxing after the game

Upperthong responded and pulled a goal back but this made


Netherton increase the pressure and Robertshaw having been


released from goalkeeping duties raced through the home team


defence, steadied himself before firing low straight at the keeper who


spilled the ball back into his path and he made no mistake at the


second time of asking. Netherton were on top on could have had


more as Nelson and Moorhouse hit the bar but Ryan O'Connor


rounded off the scoring from close range after being fed by striker


partner Nelson. The seconds now face Heyside in the Richardson


Cup Semi Final on Tuesday 15th April










Saturday 22nd March


 Netherton 3 Uppermill 3


Wooldale Res 2 Netherton A 2


The first team continued their recent revival with a well earned point


at home to Uppermill. Netherton were forced to call on third team


keeper Sam Midwood and fielded a back four of Sewell, Harling,


Williams and Moorhouse, all of whom have been part of the


successful second team this season. Despite finding themselves 3-1


down in the second half, they stormed back to salvage a draw thanks


to an Own goal and strikes from Ryan O'Connor and Ryan Burchael.



The third team travelled to Wooldale and endured wind, rain, hail and


bright sunshine in a hard fought 2-2 draw at a Wooldale side


fielding a mix of youth and experience. Ryan Blezard impressed for


the third team, slotting in at centre half and looked comfortable both


passing and running the ball out of defence. Netherton took the lead


when Dan Rodgers poked home from close range. Wooldale got


back on level terms after keeper Robertshaw failed to keep hold of a


fierce long range effort and the striker poked home from close range.


Wooldale took the lead before half time with an accomplished finish.


Netherton had more of the play in the second half and deserved at


least a point out of the game and got their just rewards when Dan


Rodgers scored with a precision volley from Deon Simmonds


excellent right wing cross.





Saturday 15th March



 Shepley 2 Netherton 5




Ryan Wadsworth inspired the first team as they returned to winning


ways in a solid 5-2 win away at Shepley. Wadsworth fired home a


spectacular long range effort and slotted home a penalty with further


strikes from Elliot George, Rhys Wharam and an Own Goal securing


the victory.



Saturday 8th March



 Netherton 0 Diggle 2



Uppermill Res 1 Netherton Res 4




Netherton first team put in an under par performance in their home game against


Diggle and went down to a 2-0 defeat in a forgettable game. They will hope


for a change of fortune in next weeks game at Shepley.



The second team travelled to Uppermill and strolled to a comfortable 4-1 win in


a game that they controlled from start to finish. Joel Nelson opened the scoring


as Danny Moorhouse and Paolo Margaglione combined on the left before


setting up the striker who shot low into the corner from outside the area.


Moorhouse, on his comeback from injury doubled the lead curling home a free


kick from 25 yards out. Netherton were largely untroubled with Jamie Shaw


slotting in well at right back and Danny Midwood pulling the strings in midfield.




 Danny Rodgers worked hard in the centre of the park and got his reward


when he found the net from close range. Sub Mikey Thomas put the icing on


the cake reacting fastest to a loose ball in the area and slotting home. With


seconds to go Uppermill got a late consolation when defensive hard man Josh


Harling got up highest to head into his own net from a free kick he had


conceded, leaving keeper Robertshaw's dream of a clean sheet cruelly










Saturday 1st March



Upperthong 5 Netherton 1




Netherton Res 2 Newsome Res 0 (Match Abandoned)



Slaithwaite Res 3 Netherton A 4





The first team had their cup dreams blown apart by a rampant


Upperthong team. The first team put in their worst performance of


the season as they went down 5-1 where Ryan Burchael scored


Netherton's consolation goal.



The second team got off to a flying start with goals from Paolo


Margaglione and a penalty from Eddie Hemmingway at home to


local rivals Newsome who had started the game with only ten men.


After twenty minutes the game was abandoned after a Newsome


player suffered a leg injury and an ambulance was called.



The third team came out on top in a tight game away at Slaithwaite.


Netherton started slowly and were two goals down after ten minutes,


but pulled one back when Deon Simmonds strike was diverted into


the net by a home team defender and the striker equalised minutes


later with another deflected effort. Half an hour into the first half


combative midfielder Roy Gilpin was sent off for retaliation, when the


referee failed to see the Slaithwaite player swing an arm at Gilpin.


Down to ten men, Netherton were galvanised. Midfielders Jamie


Lambert and Danny Johnson put in solid performances and drove


the team forward. Netherton took a deserved lead when Sam


Midwood's long punt down field found Simmonds who coolly lobbed


the keeper, and the striker bagged another to seemingly put the


game out of Slaithwaites reach. Netherton had to endure a nervous


last ten minutes as the home team scrambled in a goal to reduce


the deficit, but they held on to claim all three points.












Saturday 22nd February


  Netherton Res 5  Honley Res 0



The second team pulled off the double over league leaders Honley


with an excellent 5-0 victory. Netherton kicked downhill in the first


half but did not take advantage and went into the break goalless. But


in the second half, they attacked Honley from the first whistle. Rhys


Wharam put Netherton ahead, heading home after Joel Nelsons


effort looped into the air off the keeper. Dan Rodgers made it two


as he robbed the Honley defender and finished low past the


despairing keeper. Elliot Wilkinson then smashed into the roof of


the net from a narrow angle to make it three. By now Netherton were


in control and Honley in disarray. Wilkinson scored the goal of the


game when he latched onto a through ball, kept the ball in the air with


his first two touches before deftly lobbing the keeper with a fantastic


finish. Rhys Wharam put the icing on the cake with a low finish as a


cross from the right found him in yards of space. The added bonus


was a clean sheet as the back four and keeper Robertshaw coped


admirably with Honley's forward line.







Saturday 15th February


  Netherton Res 5  Scholes Res 1



The second team game went ahead on Saturday in cold, blustery


conditions but the pitch stood up well. Netherton began positively


kicking downhill in the first half and were rewarded when full back


Ryan Blezard finished off a move he had started. Ten minutes from


the break Dan Rodgers doubled the lead with a well placed header


into the bottom corner making it four goals in two games for the








Despite kicking uphill in the second half, the seconds continued to


dominate. Ryan Wadsworth hit the bar from close range but made


no mistake in the very next attack, firing in low from the angle. Joel


Nelson was introduced from the bench and helped himself to a brace


to make it 5-0. The seconds had further chances but failed to score


in an amazing goalmouth scramble when Mikey Thomas somehow


couldn't find the net from close range. In the dying moments Scholes


got a late consolation but it was too little too late.









Saturday 8th February


  Netherton 1  Skelmanthorpe 4



Netherton A 3 Cumberworth Res 3




The first team never recovered from a first half goal blitz from


Skelmanthorpe and ended up on the wrong end of a 4-1 scoreline


with Elliot George getting Netherton's only goal.



It was a game of two halves at Netherton top rec as the third team


kicking downhill in the first half took a 3-0 lead thanks to a hat-trick


of quality finishes from Dan Rodgers. Netherton held Cumberworth


at bay for half an hour of the second half but they finally broke


through and rallied to earn a draw.




Saturday 25th January


  Netherton A 0 Hepworth Res 5



The third team lost out in the top of the table battle against


a Hepworth team that was littered with players from their first team.


The home team fought hard any fired into their tackles with Jamie


Lambert and Dean Midwood setting an early example. However


Hepworth were dangerous and quick up front and were clinical in


front of goal. Despite the scoreline, Netherton did have their chances


with Paddy Howell smashing against the bar and Deon Simmonds


firing at the keeper when one on one. At the other end keeper


Robertshaw pulled off a series of fine saves to keep the scoreline







Saturday 18th January


  Netherton Res 4 Heywood Irish Centre Res 3



The second team picked up a third consecutive win in an enthralling


game at Lightenfield Lane. The second team started quickly and


raced into a two goal lead. Eddie Hemmingway controlled Rhys


Wharam's searching pass before firing the ball home. Club top


scorer Ryan O'Connor helped himself to his 17th goal of the season


after rounding the keeper and cooly slotting home. This stung


Heywoods into action and they went in at half time level after


converting a penalty and capitalising on confusion in the home teams


defence. The second half was quite even with Adam Robertshaw


pulling off a series of fine saves in the Netherton net, while the


opposing keeper was also in good form. With the game heading into


the last twenty minutes, full back Ryan Blezard put Netherton back in


front with a fierce 25 yard toe poked effort which moved in the air,


deceived the keeper and ended up in the back of the net. Netherton


lost their concentration and Heywoods were back on level terms


two minutes later catching the home team on the break. Netherton


pushed forward and were rewarded when Joel Harrison slammed


home a 30 yard free kick past the helpless keeper  into the top left


hand corner to seal victory.






Saturday 11th January


 Cartworth Moor Res 2 Netherton B 8



The fourth team gained three valuable points in their away fixture


at lowly Cartworth Moor on Saturday. The omens didn't look good


as they fell two goals behind, however they stormed back to record


an 8-2 victory. Man of the Match Dean Midwood scored twice, while


Joel Nelson helped himself to a hat-trick.  Further goals from Daz


Shaw, Kyle Simmonds and James Wilkinson Milner secured the win.






Saturday 4th January


 Kirkheaton Res 1 Netherton Res 7



 Netherton A 5 Heyside Reserves 5



The second team travelled to Kirkheaton expecting a tight game


however they played some exceptional football as they ran out


convincing 7-1 winners and could even have one by more. Danny


Midwood had a fine game and helped himself to two goals as well as


supplying the cross for Ryan O'Connor to score with a spectacular


overhead effort. Rhys Wharam weighed in with two goals and further


efforts from Eddie Hemmingway and Elliot Harrison completed the


rout. Defender Richard Williams commented after the game 'We


played liquid football.'



The third team ended up sharing the points in a thrilling 5-5 draw at


home to Heyside Reserves. Heyside took the lead but were pegged


back when Ben Robinson slotted home from close range. Heyside


went into half time 2-1 after a chipped finish. After the break


Netherton bounced back and took a 3-2 lead as captain for the day


Roy Gilpin converted a penalty after Deon Simmonds was brought


down and then headed home Jamie Lambert's inch perfect cross.


Netherton seemed comfortable for the next ten minutes but were


then rocked by two quickfire goals from the away side to find


themselves behind again. Supersub Ben Green levelled from close


range before Deon Simmonds ran through and finished well to put


Netherton 5-4 up, but in the dying seconds Netherton were caught


out by a long ball and the Heyside striker finished well.








Saturday 28th December


 Netherton Res 5 Shepley Res 1


KKS Spartans Res 2 Netherton A 3


Hade Edge Res 3 Netherton B 1



The second team bounced back to form with a thumping 5-1 win 


over Shepley Reserves which moves them up to fourth place in the


league. Ryan O'Connor is having a great season in front of goal


and helped himself to two which takes his tally up to fifteen. A rare


goal from Jon Sewell and strikes from Elliot Wilkinson and Rhys


Wharam secured the victory.



KKS Reserves tried to bully the third team and the referee but failed


as the thirds fought to a deserved 3-2 win. In fact their tactics were


to blame as after they had taken the lead, they conceded two first


half penalties which the in-form Roy Gilpin despatched with ease.


Danny Johnson was unlucky just before half time when his close


range strike from close range hit the underside of the bar and


bounced back out. In the second half, Sam Midwood made a world


class safe diving full length to get in the way of a goalbound strike.


KKS got back on level terms with a well taken goal. As the game


entered the last five minutes, substitute Ben Green screwed a great


chance wide from a narrow angle, however he made amends in the


very last minute as Gilpins through ball sent him clear and he applied


a fine finish into the top corner from just outside the area to secure


all three points. Some solid performances all over the park but Deon


Simmonds picked up the Man of The Match award with an energetic





The fourth team put in an improved performance but unfortunately


went down to a 3-1 defeat at Hade Edge with the Netherton goal


coming from Armitage.






Saturday 21st December


 Netherton Res 1 Hepworth Res 7


Cumberworth Res 1 Netherton Res 2




A game to forget for the second team as they were dumped out of


the cup by a strong Hepworth Reserves side who took full advantage


after Netherton were reduced to ten men when Josh Harling was sent


off for a moment of madness where he ran in to confront and push


the opposing striker. Ryan O'Connor got the consolation goal with a





The thirds battled hard at Cumberworth and were rewarded with a


2-1 victory. Netherton fell behind to a penalty after manager Denton


was harshly adjudged to have pushed the Cumberworth player


in the penalty area. Netherton pressed forward and were rewarded


when Gilpin charged through and bundled into the net. Midway


through the second half, Danny Johnson grabbed a deserved winner


when he threw himself into a fifty-fifty challenge and poked the ball


into the net from close range.



Saturday 14th December



 Heywood Irish Centre 1 Netherton 6


Britannia Sports 1 Netherton Res 2


  Netherton A 2 Kirkheaton Res 0



Netherton B 0 Lindley Res 7



The first team cruised to a comfortable victory over Heywood Irish


Centre and in doing so climbed to third place in the table. Elliot


George helped himself to two more goals which keeps him clear


at the top of the club's scoring charts with fifteen goals for the


season. Ryan Burchael continues to impress  andhe got into double


figures  for the season after grabbing a brace. Eddie Hemmingway


claimed the other two goals in the 6-1 win.



The second team advanced to the quarter finals of the Richardson


Cup with a hard fought win over an improved Britannia Sports side.


After falling behind, Netherton showed great resolve to get back


in to the game and goals from Jordan Williamson and a spectacular


long range strike from Dan Midwood secured a 2-1 win.



The third team notched another impressive win over Kirkheaton who


as usual provided tough opposition. Despite Netherton having most


of the play and the better chances the game looked to be heading for


a goalless draw until with ten minutes to go, Roy Gilpin scored


directly from a corner. Five minutes later veteran full back Mark


Jepson threaded the ball through to Ben Robinson who ran through


and slotted home comfortably to secure the three points.



The fourth team were on a hiding to nothing against high flying


Lindley Reserves who are still unbeaten for the season after running


out 7-0 winners.



Saturday 7th December



 Uppermill 1 Netherton 3


 Netherton Res 6 Uppermill Res 2


Upperthong Res 3  Netherton A 6



A great weekend for the club with all three teams that played picking


up all three points. The first team had a solid win away at Uppermill


with Elliot George helping himself to a brace as well as having two


further goals disallowed. Joel Nelson grabbed the other goal with a


spectacular overhead kick. Michael Foster came close to keeping his


scoring run going but his effort crashed off the post.



To rub salt in Uppermill's wounds, the second team ran out


comfortable 6-2 winners over their Lancashire counterparts.


Substitute Ian Walker scored twice, the second a long range angled


effort which added to a double from in form Dan Rodgers and


further strikes from Elliot Wilkinson and Eddie Hemmingway.



The third team got back to winning ways with a convincing 6-3 win


at muddy Upperthong. Roy Gilpin settled the away teams nerves


flicking home Ben Robinson's cross from eight yards out. Robinson


doubled the lead soon after and Jamie Lambert sent Netherton into


half time with a 3-1 lead. Netherton continued to attack in the second


half with Gilpin completing his hat-trick with two close range finishes


and Ben Robinson getting a deserved goal. Upperthong scored twice


late on, but were never really a threat in the game. Craig Denton put


in a commanding performance at the heart of the defence and was


awarded with the man of the match accolade.







Saturday 30th November



Netherton 3 Shepley 1


 Scholes Res 3 Netherton Res 4


Netherton A 2 Shelley Res 2



A solid but unspectacular win for the first team at home to Shepley but three


welcome points all the same. Michael Foster claimed his third goal in the last


three games with a header which was deflected in while striker Elliot George


grabbed two taking him to eleven for the season.



An eventful game for the second team at Scholes as keeper Robertshaw was


sent off after only seven minutes for handball outside the area. To make matters


worse, the home team scored from the resulting free kick. Netherton took time


to get to grips with the game and were soon 3-0 down after Harling's


clumsy tackle conceded a penalty which was duly converted and a concise


passing move ended the ball in the back of the Netherton net. As the half went


on Netherton fought back into the game and pulled one back before the break


thanks to a towering Danny Rodgers header. In the second half Netherton


surged forward and goals from Tom Wainwright, Ryan O'Connor and another


from Rodgers secured an amazing comeback win.



The third team also found themselves behind against the run of play in a tough


fixture at home to Shelley Reserves. Despite going 2-0 down, Netherton were


the better team and they got back into the game thanks to a penalty from the


reformed quiet Roy Gilpin and got back on level terms thanks to a wonder


strike from Ben Robinson who latched on to Jepson's defence splitting pass and


curled home from outside the box. The one downside was the loss of Joe


Somerville to a hamstring injury.






Saturday 23rd November



Netherton 4 Holmbridge 5


 Netherton A 0 Uppermill A 0


 Junction Res 6 Netherton B 4



The first team were always chasing the game against Holmbridge and ended up


falling to a 5-4 defeat. Ryan Burchael scored the goal of the game with a vicious


25 yarder adding to a brace of goals from Rhys Wharam  and a bullet header


from Michael Foster.




Elsewhere,  the second teams game at Uppermill was called off due to a frozen


pitch. The third team put up a solid defensive performance at home to


Uppermills A team and had the better of the chances but the game ended in a


0-0 draw. The fourth team put up a spirited display against Junction Reserves


but suffered a 6-4 defeat with Ryan O'Connor helping himself to a hat-trick and


a rare goal from Chunkinho.






Saturday 16th November




  Netherton 9 Cartworth Moor 3

Meltham Res 1 Netherton Res 0


 Netherton A 0 KKS 2

Scisset A 4 Netherton A 0


Netherton ran out comfortable 9-3 winners over lower league Cartworth Moor


despite a scare as the division four side held Netherton at 3-3 early in the second


half. Although not fully fit, Elliot George helped himself to a hat trick while substitute


Joel Nelson weighed in with a couple of headers. Michael Foster chalked up his


first of the season alongside goals from Ryan Burchael and a Ryan Wadsworth


penalty. Rhys Wharam again finds himself in front of the dubious goals panel after


his effort was helped into the net by the opposition goalkeeper. Netherton travel to


Upperthong in the next round who have Netherton old boys Paul Hamer and Andy


Gledhill in their squad.


Not a good week for the other sides in the club as the seconds went down to a


narrow 1-0 defeat at the hands of Meltham. The third team put in an


uncharacteristic flat display at home to KKS and lost 2-0 with Sam Midwood to


thank for keeping the score down with a couple of top class saves. The fourth team


suffered a 4-0 reversal at Scisset.






Saturday 2nd November



 Hepworth 2 Netherton 4

Heyside Res 3 Netherton A 5


The first team put in one of their best performances of the season at Hepworth


coming back with all three points after a 4-2 victory. With conditions playing a big


part on the sloping pitch, the omens weren't good at half time as Netherton trailed


2-0. However with the slope in their favour, Netherton controlled the second half.


Rhys Wharam scored twice on his return from injury, smashing in from just inside


the area for one, whilst poaching the other from close range even though Foster's


header looked to be going into the net anyway. Wharam was hungry for a hat trick,


but disappointed his team mates by trying to score directly from a corner which


went straight out of play and vented his frustration on the corner flag. Netherton's


other goals both came from Ryan Burchael with two classy finishes - one a dink


over the keeper, the other a calm finish into the corner after some tricky footwork.



A day to forget for the third team as they crashed to a 5-3 defeat at Heyside.


Things didn't get off to a good start on the way there as three cars from the


Netherton travelling contingent were involved in a pile up in the middle of


Lancashire, where fortunately no players were injured but the cars were in a bad


way. Netherton finally arrived at Heyside and had to rethink their team selection as


influential midfielder Ben Robinson had to arrange for his car to be collected. Joel


Harrison came into the side and got the thirds off to a flying start with a low


swerving effort which evaded the keeper. Danny Johnson soon made it 2-0 turning


home a cross from Lee Hallas who impressed on debut. Heyside stepped up a


gear and pulled it back to 2-2. Hallas got a well deserved goal curling in from just


outside the area to put Netherton back in front just before half time. The wind got


stronger in the second half and was in Heyside's favour. Minutes into the half,


Heyside caught Netherton on the break and the pacy winger accelerated past the


defence to score comfortably. Netherton grew in confidence and were controlling


the game when a Heyside forward took a heavy fall on the astro turf suffering a


suspected dislocated shoulder. The game was held up for twenty minutes while the


ambulance arrived and took the player away. When the game resumed Heyside


stepped up a gear and took the lead with Netherton defenders appealing for


offside. As Netherton became desperate for an equaliser the home side


capitalised again on the break to go 5-3 up. There was still time for Harrison to


have a goal disallowed for handball, but it wasn't to be Netherton's day.








                                    Saturday 26th October


 Netherton 2 Heywood Irish Centre 1


Netherton Res 3 Berry Brow Res 4


 Kirkheaton Res 2 Netherton A 3


 Netherton B 2 Scholes A 5


A below par performance from the first team but they still managed to take home

all three points following a 2-1 win at home to Heywoods. With fifteen minutes to go

and Netherton trailing 1-0  manager Wadsworth sent on his substitutes Sam

Holmes and Rhys Wharam to who pushed the team forward and helped to turn the

game round. Ben Green scored directly from a corner and Lee Wharam bundled

the ball over the line with his shoulder to give Netherton victory.


With manager Neil Wood on holiday, last weeks scoring sensation Dick

Winterbottom stood in but without the same effect as the seconds went down to a

narrow 4-3 defeat at the hands of Berry Brow. O'Connor limped off early in the

game and before long Netherton were 2 goals down. Netherton drew level as Dan

Rodgers ran through the centre to slot home while Elliot Wilkinson continued his

recovery from injury by controlling on his knee before applying a cool finish. Berry

Brow regained their two goal cushion, until Tom Willans free kick evaded everyone

and ended up in the back of the net to make the final score 4-3 to Berry Brow.


Netherton A had a solid victory in a tough game at Kirkheaton, winning by the odd  

goal in five. Netherton created more of the chances in blustery conditions and

deservedly took the lead when Ben Robinson latched on to a loose ball in the

penalty area to fire past the keeper. Kirkheaton equalised from the penalty spot

before Danny Johnson put Netherton back in front cutting back into the area from

the goal line and angling a shot in to the corner of the net. The home team rallied

and got back on level terms before half time with a close range header. Netherton

had slightly more of the play in the second half and got a deserved winner when

McCullie beat the keeper at the near post from a narrow angle.


The fourth team had a disastrous first half against Scholes going into the break 5-1

down. The second half was much closer as Netherton pulled a goal back but

Scholes were never really in danger. Netherton's goals came from Kyle with a

stunning long range effort and Wayne Thornton who after being fed by Devon

Haigh beat two men and finished beneath the keeper.






                                Saturday 19th October


Heyside FC 3 Netherton 5


Netherton Res 12 Cartworth Moor Res 2


 Berry Brow Res 3 Netherton A 0


Shepley Res 4 Netherton B 0



The first team overcame a tricky first round cup draw away to Heyside and their


 artificial surace by running out 5-3 victors. It wasn't plain sailing for Netherton who


found themselves 3-2 down at half time and on the receiving end of an angry


dressing down from manager Alan Wadsworth which spurred them on to victory.


Daniel Smith scored for the second week in a row with his now trade mark flicked 


header. Josh Shields grabbed another long range effort adding to two goals from


Sam Holmes and another from Ryan Wadsworth. Netherton now face Cartworth


Moor at home in the next round. 




The second team had a straightforward victory over lowly Cartworth Moor


Reserves. The attacking trio of Ryan O'Connor, Joel Nelson and Dan Rodgers all 


helped themselves to hat-tricks while Elliot Wilkinson continued his rehabilitation  


from injury with a goal, Joel Harrison got on the scoresheet and assistant to the 


manager Dick Winterbottom came off the bench to round off the victory with a


stunning goal as he outpaced two defenders before slotting home. The second


team will face Hepworth Reserves or Mount Reserves in the next round.



The third and fourth teams both went down to defeat against teams in higher


divisions.Both teams put up spirited performances but bowed out of the cup


competition. The thirds went down 3-0 to Berry Brow Reserves despite Paddy  


Howell picking up the man of the match award while the fourth team lost 4-0 to


Shepley Reserves three divisions above them with the highlight keeper Ross


Mortimer pulling off a fine penalty save.





Saturday 12th October


Netherton 4 Scholes 2


Honley Res 3 Netherton Res 5 


 Netherton A 7 Slaithwaite Res 1


Lindley Res 7 Netherton B 2




Netherton first team gained a creditable victory against Scholes after being


reduced to ten men after half an hour and the score at 0-0 as defender Matty


Devlin picked up two yellow cards for dangerous tackles. Evergreen midfielder


Danny Smith set the home team on their way with a flicked header and from


then on they didn't look back. Ryan Burchael got on the scoresheet as the


Scholes keeper and defender had a mix up and he went on to roll the ball


into an empty net. Josh Shields added another, firing home after Lee Wharam's


trademark flick around the defender sent him through on goal. Scholes


managed to score twice, however Tom Willans made the game safe by


scooping the ball over the Scholes keeper to wrap up a 4-2 win.



The second team went to previously unbeaten Honley as underdogs but


came away with an excellent. 5-3 win. Ryan O'Connor continued his scoring


run by grabbing a double, but was denied a hat trick when his spectacular free


kick was disallowed as it was in-direct. At the other end there were moments of


comedy as keeper Robertshaw conceded a penalty for punching a Honley


forward instead of the ball which was duly despatched, while the usually reliable


Abbas Hussain controlled the ball in his own penalty area and with his second


touch found the bottom corner of his own net. But Netherton were more than


a match for table topping Honley and were well worth their win with Mikey 


Thomas firing in a low skimming free kick and further strikes from Jordan


Henderson and Paolo Margaglione making the game safe.



Netherton third team controlled their home game against Slaithwaite to


maintain their unbeaten record. After falling 1-0 behind with the normally agile


keeper Steve Harrison being lobbed from the corner of the area, Netherton were


soon back on level terms with Ben Robinson running through to despatch


neatly and the same player put the home side in front from close range minutes


later. The thirds went into half time 3-1 up as Ian Walker timed his run perfectly


to power home a header from Jamie Shaw's inch perfect cross. In the second


half it was one way traffic as Deon Simmonds fired in a quick fire hat-trick


after assists from Mccullie and Nathan Turner making his first appearance


of the season. Simmonds helped himself to a fourth as the thirds ran out 7-1





The fourth team had a difficult game away at table topping Lindley who had


been scoring goals for fun this season and Saturday was no exception as they


beat the B team 7-2 with Tom Wainwright and Devon Haigh grabbing


Netherton's consolation goals









Saturday 5th October


Diggle 4 Netherton 2 


Netherton Res 5 Britannia Res 4


Shelley Res Res 0 Netherton A 1


Flockton Res 2 Netherton B 6



The first team suffered a 4-2 defeat at the hands of Diggle. After going 2-0 down,


Netherton fought back to 2-2 thanks to a close range effort from Ryan


Burchael and a penalty from Ryan Wadsworth. However Diggle pressed on


and ended up comfortable winners.



The second team had a storming first half and went into the break 5-0 up at


home to Britannia Sports. Dan Rodgers grabbed his first two goals of the


season adding to a Ryan O'Connor penalty and a brace from Darren Morton.


Britannia put up a spirited fight in the second half and pulled it back to 5-4


late on, but Netherton held on for the win.



The thirds had a tough fixture at Shelley who dominated possession but


found keeper Sam Midwood and the Netherton back four in top form. As the


game wore on Netherton carved out chances of their own but Deon Simmonds


couldn't find the finish to two excellent crosses from Joe Somerville. With the


clock ticking down Netherton forced a corner which was swung in by Simmonds


and met by a towering header from Ben Robinson into the top corner of the net


for what turned out to be the winner.



The fourths had an excellent win at Flockton inspired by Ash Rattigan in his


second spell at the club as he notched two goals including one quality free kick.


Further goals from Stu Kingston, Tom Wainwright, Connor Hodgson and Devon


Haigh ensured a 6-2 win.





Saturday 21st September


Holmbridge 1 Netherton 2 


Netherton Res 5 Newsome Res 6


Uppermill Res 1 Netherton A 5


 Netherton B 1 Moorside Res 2



The first team bagged their first win of the season with a hard fought 2-1


win at Holmbridge. Things didn't look good for a Netherton team missing the


likes of Michael Foster and Danny Smith and at half time they went into the


break trailing 1-0. Captain for the day Matt Devlin galvanised the troops and in


the second half they came out fighting and turned the game around thanks to a


deflected Ryan Wadsworth free kick and a strike from front man Elliot George


Wadsworth. Worrying injury news as Matt Devlin was laid low by cramp


while eating his post match sausage and chips in the club and may be a doubt


for next weeks game.





For the second year running the second teams' game against Newsome turned


out to be a goal-fest but this time they lost out to the odd goal in eleven. In truth


Netherton were always chasing the game to keep on level terms. After Newsome


had taken the lead, Abbas Hussain levelled with a 35 yard strike. Two more


strikes from the away side meant Newsome led 3-1 at half time. Netherton


battled through the second half and pulled the scoreline back to 4-4 with


goals from Wood, Morton and a Joel Harrison penalty. Newsome extended


their lead to 6-4 before Joel Harrison slammed in a 40 yard free kick into the


top corner in the dying minutes.



The third team went on their travels to Uppermill having  put the new changing


rooms in the backroom of the con club to good use and sporting a brand new


kit. The thirds dominated the game and their blend of youth and experience


helped them to a comprehensive 5-1 win. Amongst the scorers were Joe


Somerville who rose to head the ball, but it skimmed off his quiff and found the


back of the net and Deon Simmonds who had a lively game up front.




The fourth team went down to their first defeat of the season at home to


Moorside with the only highlight being another goal for the free-scoring Tom













Saturday 14th September Round Up


Netherton 4 Britannia Sports 4


Britannia Sports Res 0 Netherton Res 4


Netherton A Vs Upperthong Res (failed to raise a team)


Thornhill United Res 2 Netherton B 5



Netherton first team gained their third draw in a row in a scrappy encounter at


home to Britannia. Ryan Wadsworth grabbed his third goal of the season, adding


to Ryan Burchael's first senior goal for the club and strikes from senior stars Lee


Wharam and Joel Nelson.




The seconds ran out comfortable 4-0 winners away at Britannia with an assured


performance. Keeper Craig Denton was comfortable in nets and kept the first


clean sheet of the season for the club. Ryan O'Connor opened the scoring with


an early penalty after he was pushed over in the area following Dan Rodgers'


flick on. Darren Morton doubled the lead with a low strike while O'Connor sent


Netherton into half time 3-0 up after a deflected long range strike. Netherton


controlled much of the second half, and sub Danny Johnson rounded off the


victory with a calm finish after cutting in from the left side.




The third team were again frustrated as opponents Upperthong Reserves


failed to raise a team a week after Wooldale also failed to get a starting line


up together.




The fourth team travelled to Thornhill and taught their hosts a lesson coming


away with a 5-2 victory. The pacy Tom Wainwright led the way by firing in a


hat-trick with the other goals coming from the prolific duo of  Mikey Thomas and


Devon Haigh who both scored for the second week in a row.




Saturday 7th September


Netherton 3 Hepworth 3



The first teams form continued to improve as they took away a well deserved


point at home to last years cup final conquerors Hepworth. In an entertaining


first half, the teams went in level at 2-2 thanks to a brace from Elliot George.


Netherton continued to press in the second half with blossoming midfield


partnership of Daniel Smith and Ryan Wadswsorth pushing the team forward,


while at the back Richard Williams did a sterling job to keep the Hepworth


strikers out. Netherton had four gilt-edged chances in the second half which


were spurned until with ten minutes to go the home side took the lead as George


danced around the keeper and rolled the ball into the net to complete his hat-


trick, but they couldn't hold on as Hepworth equalised late in the game


capitilising on another of their dangerous long throws.








Saturday 7th September


Shepley Res 2 Netherton Res 1



The second team came away from their opening fixture away at Shepley 


wondering how they didn't come away with all three points after dominating the


game but failing to take their chances. In the first half Shepley rarely threatened


while Netherton saw a header cleared off the line with one of their better


chances. In the second half Netherton took a deserved lead as Jepson fed


O'Connor who picked out Paddy Howells run down the left wing. Howell pulled


the ball back to the edge of the area where captain Weatherhead fired a low


drive into the corner of the net. Shepley sprung into life and were soon back


on level terms after springing Netherton's offside trap and were in front soon


after as the forward rounded Blezard in nets to poke home. For the last half hour


it was all Netherton pressure, but they couldn't find the breakthrough with the


Shepley goal leading a charmed life as Howell blazed over, Weatherhead had


a looping header cleared off the line and McCullie's attempt in a goalmouth


scramble was cleared to safety. Neil Wood takes his team to Britannia next


week looking for a bit more luck in front of goal.






Saturday 7th September


Cumberworth B 2 Netherton B 4


An excellent for new manager Chris Rhodes as the reformed fourth team


returned from Cumberworth with all three points. Third team manager Craig


Denton volunteered to go in goals and looked calm and assured throughout


which helped confidence through the team. Michael Thomas got on the score


sheet with a quite unbelievable goal with the fact that he cleared a corner


at one end of the pitch and after a few more passes he had managed to run


the full length of the pitch uphill to apply a cool finish. Devon Haigh got on the


scoresheet on his debut adding to a penalty from the pacy Tom Wainwright


and an effort from Stu Kingston.
















Wednesday 4th September


Netherton 4 Lepton 4




Netherton first team picked up their first point of the season after a rousing


comeback from 4-1 down to draw 4-4 at home to Lepton. Manager Alan


Wadsworth continued his selection policy of youth with a bit of experience and


they were holding their own going in to half time level at 1-1 thanks to a Danny


Smith goal.



Netherton were rocked back in the first fifteen minutes of the second half as


Lepton stormed into a 4-1 lead thanks to some clinical finishing.



Captain Michael Foster rallied the team from the back while Ryan Wadsworth


took a grip of the midfield and pulled the team back into contention after 


running through the centre of the park  before dispatching an unstoppable 25


yarder into the net. With time running out Elliot George's burst of pace took


the keeper by surprise who pulled him down for a penalty which the


impressive Wadsworth tucked away. The home team continued to lay siege


on the Lepton goal and got their just rewards when Matt Devlin's long throw was


flicked on by Foster at the front post and the away team defender could only turn


the ball over the line from close range to give Netherton a well earned point.